I know this because as a young, dreamer co-ed at Oklahoma State University, I worked for a four-year degree in Community Wellness. There are Five Centers of Health we should all work toward:
- Physical – the Easy kind. The get up out of your chair and move kind. When you have complete health, it’s easy to forget how good you have it. Sickness, illness, and ache here and there remind us not to take it for granted. Health status changes all the time. When change comes, move with it.
- Emotional – the Hold My Hand kind. We all go through pieces of our day where happiness wanes, stress comes in, and we need to take a moment to recollect ourselves so we can reconnect to the task at hand. Know your triggers and know how to replenish quickly to be most effective.
- Mental – the Focus kind. What does it take for you to find focus and move forward? Only you can know you best, so this one is made up of communicators, list-makers, introverts, and who you want to best represent you.
- Social – the Be You kind. With all the ways we have to be social nowadays, nothing is better than a phone-face-down dinner with friends, or a good walk around the neighborhood. Truly. The next day you will always feel far more refreshed and energized than a 24-hour sleep fest. Reach out and d-i-a-l a phone. You’ll surprise yourself in how happy you will feel.
- Spiritual – the Love Something Other Than Yourself kind. Faith, Love, Hope, Connection with something greater than yourself is a big driver with cultures, communities, and individual families. Meditation can be done every day or a 25-minute session once a week when you finally find yourself alone can bring great Peace.
No one needs a full degree to know who you are or how to bring joy and happiness to a day, but mindfulness is a growing trend and it helps to know what you are supposed to be mindful of. Hope this helps some and I would love to answer any questions you may have. Be Well and #ShapeYourFuture.